I created Rat Boy because I loathe and despise rats. To me, they are dirty creatures and are disease ridden. I cringe and then turn away when I see them on television.
Television isn’t the only place I have seen rats. During the garbage strike in Toronto in 2002, I was unfortunate enough to be parked outside a Chinese food restaurant very early one morning, waiting to start work and saw mounds of garbage bags piled high with several beady eyed rats getting what they could out of the bags. That image has never left my mind. It was very disturbing to me.
Rat Boy sort of settles that image in my mind. When I think of a rat now, I think of Rat Boy first. Since I created him, I can tolerate him.
Over the years, I have developed Rat Boy to be a loving and devoted character. This just goes to show that good can come from evil.
Pit Questions and Answers
- Which character has a jealous tendency?
– I think in this case, Rat Boy would be jealous of his sister, Cecilia because it seems she always has the nicer clothes to wear.
- Which character have I written about the most?
– I have written about Rat Boy the most because he is a main character of Storyland.
- Which character feels like they are treated fairly?
– I think Rat Boy is the one not treated fairly sometimes because he is always stuck with his baby sister. He doesn’t mind this but it must get to him when he sees his friends out playing and he has to look after her.
- Do these two characters like each other?
– These two characters love each other very much. Cecilia can be a handful but that doesn’t mean Rat Boy doesn’t love her.
- Which character is closer to my heart?
– Rat Boy is closer to my heart only because he is a main character.
- Will I be writing future stories about these two characters?
To sum up the character pit between Rat Boy and Cecilia, Cecilia might not be thankful now for the sacrifices her brother has done for her but she will love him for it in the future.