The Olympic Torch Run 2010

Ever since I first heard that the Olympic Torch was going to run across Canada, I wanted to see it. I wanted to be a part of the Olympic history. As the time got closer for the torch to come to my hometown, Kamloops, BC, it was looking more and more like I wouldn’t be able to see it.

I have been fighting severe back pain for months now and it is very difficult, sometimes impossible for me to move around. Some mornings I can’t even get out of bed, the pain is just too severe.

The Olympic Torch was coming through Kamloops, BC on January 27, 2010 and then again in the morning on January 28. January 27 it was coming in the afternoon and there was going to be a big celebration that evening at the top of town. I knew I wasn’t going to make it to the celebration or to even see the torch on the 27th because that morning, I would barely move. I was very disappointed but I knew there was no way in the world that I could have made it.

With this back pain, I am unable to stand for long periods of time. I am unable to walk more than a few feet at a time so the only way I was going to see the torch was if I could get my car to a spot where I would be right where the torch was.

I had one last chance to see the torch and that was the morning of January 28, 2010. I got up at 6:00 am that morning. Oh, I was in a lot of pain and found it very difficult to walk up the hallway and even more difficult to get dressed. I was thinking at that point that there was no way I was going to make it to see the torch. However, I came out and sat with my heating pad on my back for about 15 minutes. That limbered me up enough to get to my car.

I managed to make it up to the North Hills Mall in Kamloops. I went through the drive through at McDonalds and ordered breakfast and sat and ate it in my car. In the McDonalds parking lot, I saw a Coca-Cola truck parked there. It wasn’t a delivery truck so, I knew it had something to do with the Olympics.

After eating my breakfast, I drove to the parking lot of the mall. It was virtually empty when I got there, except for a few people that were at Starbucks. About 7:30, someone drove up beside where I was parked and they were blocking my view so I got out of the car and stood and waited for the torch to come. I put my red Olympic mittens on too.

At first, I saw a helicopter circling the city. Then a few police cars came along. Then the motorcade for the torch started coming through. I could see someone dressed in the Olympic uniform standing at the corner of the street about two blocks from where I was. I saw him holding an unlit torch.

“Oh my!“ I thought to myself, now getting really excited. “That is the next torch bearer!“

I watched and soon enough, the torch came around the corner and I could see the flame. When the torch bearer got up to the other torch bearer, I saw them exchange the flame. What an awesome sight that was! I never really expected to see that so I was very excited. The new torch bearer then started his journey and ran with the torch right past me.

It was worth every ounce of pain that I had to endure to see the torch. I am so glad I made the effort to see it. It is something I am proud to say that I saw and it is something I will never ever forget!

(Visited 123 times, 1 visits today)