I created my character, Fred the Farmer, for my Canadian Trades/Professions Story Challenge. Farmers are a very important part of Canada’s labour market. In Canada, we rely on our farmers to produce our food for us. Foods such as beef, pork, poultry and fresh vegetables come from our Canadian farms.
Farming is one of the most important industries in Canada because a lot of our food comes from the land being worked by our farmers. Farming is not an easy way of life but it can be the most rewarding. Sitting down to a meal, where 90% of what is on the table was grown by your own two hands, has to be the most satisfying feeling in the world.
Canada has farmers from the east coast all the way to the west coast. I chose to have Fred the Farmer come from Lindsay, Ontario because I have lived in Lindsay and around Lindsay several times in my life. There are a ton of very lucrative farms in the Lindsay and surrounding areas.
Farming takes careful planning, a lot of hard physical labour as well as some rewards but also some failures. You will have several years where you will be successful but, quite possibly, several more that will be failures. You have to learn to weather the storms.
Pit Questions and Answers
- Which character has a jealous tendency?
– Fred the Farmer is a very sincere and honest individual and he would not have a jealous bone in his body. He also would not have the time to be jealous. Lil’ Rebel might be jealous of Fred the Farmer only because she likes to cause trouble and trouble seems to follow her wherever she goes.
- Which character have I written about the most?
– I have written about Lil’ Rebel the most. Fred the Farmer is a brand new character.
- Which character feels like they are treated fairly?
– Fred the Farmer would definitely think he is being treated fairly because he loves being a farmer and he loves the outdoors. Lil’ Rebel would not feel like she is being treated fairly, only because that is her nature.
- Do these two characters like each other?
– I don’t see Fred the Farmer having any contact with Lil’ Rebel because they do come from totally different backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Which character is closer to my heart?
– I do think I like Fred the Farmer more than Lil’ Rebel because honestly, I don’t have time for the mischief and devilry Lil’ Rebel causes.
- How are these characters similar to one another?
– These two characters are not similar in any way to one another.
- How are these characters different from one another?
– The difference between these two characters is that Fred the Farmer cares about his environment and he cares about other people. Lil’ Rebel is very selfish and only thinks of herself.
- Will I be writing future stories about these two characters?
To sum up the character pit between Fred the Farmer and Lil’ Rebel, I don’t see these two characters interacting with each other at all, unless Lil’ Rebel is forced to work on a farm because she got into some kind of trouble.