I created Ollie the Oil Field Worker as part of my Canadian Trades/Professions Character Challenge.
In Canada, the oil industry is an important part of our economy. In recent years it has faced an economic downturn and the economy in the province of Alberta has taken a downturn.
Times are tough in Alberta and those who have jobs do what they can to keep them. Those that don’t are suffering, many having to pack up and leave.
Ollie the Oil Field Worker is one of the lucky ones. He is still employed. Because of the state of Alberta’s economy, Ollie the Oil Field Worker is not one to just spend his money foolishly. He is lucky in that he bought himself a modest house and paid cash for it.
A lot of Ollie the Oil Field Workers’ friends like to spend their money foolishly. If they were to lose their jobs, they would be some of the ones that would have to pack up and leave. Ollie the Oil Field Worker has lectured them but it seems to always fall on deaf ears.
There are still some jobs in the oil field for the right individuals and hopefully, the oil field will pick up to where it used to be.
Pit Questions and Answers
- Which character has a jealous tendency?
– Mitchell the Miner probably would like to have had the opportunity to work in the oil field because there is a lot more money to made there so, he is probably jealous of Ollie the Oil Field Worker.
- Which character have I written about the most?
– I have written about Ollie the Oil Field Worker and Mitchell the Miner about the same because they are both brand new characters.
- Which character feels like they are treated fairly?
– Ollie the Oil Field Worker feels like he is being treated fairly in Storyland. He has a job he likes and he does make good money. Mitchell the Miner may have lung issues to deal with in the future by working in the dusty mines.
- Do these two characters like each other?
– I do believe Ollie the Oil Field Worker and Mitchell the Miner would like each other if given the opportunity to meet. They are both dedicated to their work and very hard-workers.
- Which character is closer to my heart?
– I think Ollie the Oil Field Worker is closer to my heart and that is because I have lived in Alberta and I know the situation with the economic downturn.
- How are these characters similar to one another?
– Both of these characters are very hard-working.
- How are these characters different from one another?
– The difference between Ollie the Oil Field Worker and Mitchell the Miner is that Ollie the Oil Field Worker chose his career whereas Mitchell the Miner was born into his career choice.
- Will I be writing future stories about these two characters?
To sum up the character pit between Ollie the Oil Field Worker and Mitchell the Miner, these two characters work in very difficult industries. The oil field and mining industries are industries that are hit hard by economic downturns.